Thursday, June 21, 2018

Grandparenting – 101

A quote attributed to Charles and Ann Morse says “The history of our grandparents is remembered not with rose petals but in the laughter and tears of their children and their children’s children. It is into us that the lives of grandparents have gone. It is in us that their history becomes a future.”

This blog has nothing to do with cars but everything to do with life!  Joe and I became grandparents for the first time to twin baby girls last week.  We’ve run through a gamut of emotions from uncertainty to pure love and joy.  Wow!  We have a new role in life and it feels completely different from when we became parents.  It is crazy how much love we feel for these tiny little girls.  I feel that I would do anything possible for their safety and well-being.

When we were younger, my whole family took beach vacations together each summer.   There were four families staying in one house.  Each morning, my dad cooked big breakfasts for everyone.  One year, when our son was about 2 or so, he woke up late in the morning.   Since it was so late, everything was cleaned up and put away.   Our son was crying that he wanted pancakes and I told him no, he had to eat cereal.   Of course, he started acting like a 2 year-old and I saw my mother get up and start rooting in the cupboard.  I asked her what she was doing and she said I’m getting a pan to make my baby pancakes.  I was not happy and insisted he should just eat cereal.   I cannot remember if my son ate cereal or pancakes that day but, at the time, I didn’t understand why she would give in to him.   Well, the tables have turned and I totally get it now!

Being a grandparent means absolute joy, that we are no longer in charge and can come and go as we please, we’ll learn from our grand-babies and them from us, we have free reign to be as silly as we want and can burst out singing the wheels on the bus go round and round anytime we want, we‘ll take in the love these girls receive from others around them and we get to see a pure and perfect love in their eyes.

Our wish for these little girls is that they grow up to be as happy as possible.  Our time on this earth may be short and we want every minute we spend with them to be precious.  We want them to treasure the memories of times they will be with us.  We are determined to impart as much wisdom as we can upon them and let them know they are loved, no matter what.  We look forward to learning from them and seeing the world again through a child's eyes.  And last, but not least, Joe ad I are embracing our new roles in life as Gam Gam and Grandpa!  What a week it has been and, as my Dad always said, "The best is yet to come!"



Keep checking our blog for the latest news and tips from Holzhauser’s Auto!

No comments:

Post a Comment